Hamas War

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Mourning and Hungry Havel Havelim

This year, and next, the 9th of Av fast will be on the 10th of Av, that is unless we start building the Beit Hamikdash and the Moshiach comes for the Chanukat Habayit festive dedication of the Holy Temple instead. It's already too late for this year, but Gd willing next year we'll celebrate... we pray.

In the meantime, since I've finished my prayers and Kinot, those depressing Tisha B'Av readings, I've holed myself here in the den by the computer trying not to enjoy myself.

Havel Havelim, however you want to spell it in English, is the long running international Jewish blog carnival, long ago started by Soccer Dad who no longer blogs. We keep it going by utilizing our facebook page. That's where you can find out who's hosting and how to host it yourself. For next week, unless there's another volunteer, I'll be hosting, so before Shabbat your time, please send your best link of the week to shilohmuse@gmail.com with "HH" as subject and a short "blurb" about the post. You're also invited to send me posts/links from other blogs, not just yours, thanks.

Following are posts sent to me, then mine and last will be some I've found. And please don't forget that you don't have to be a blogger to read, comment and share Havel Havelim!!

On with the show:

From Yael, last week's hostess, The seeds planted on Tisha b’Av, a poem by Ovadya ben Malka: “A curse and a blessing were laid on us that day. Having lived the curse, can we doubt that blessing will come as well?” And also Tisha b’Av: Redemption rooted in tragedy. Tisha b’Av is a kind of “Bermuda Triangle in Time” for the Jewish people. Most people know that both the First and the Second Temples were destroyed on that day. That would be enough to qualify this day as a day of misfortune. But what is less well known is how far back it goes.
Ben-Tzion Spitz: Sufficient Scholars?
Real Jerusalem Streets: Israeli Summer Heats Up and she also posts on Israellycool, Photo of the Day: Virtual Unraveling of History
Jacob Richman greeted the Nefesh B'Nefesh flight, Welcome Home!
With Tisha B'av still in our hearts and Rosh HaShana on the way we should think about and talk to our kids about how we treat others. Check out The Children of Israel are Told Not to Cause Pain to Widows and Orphans on Enjoying the Bible Online by Marcia Goldlist.
giant storage jug, Shiloh
When I went to the Israel Museum last week, I decided to visit the giant jug which had been found in Shiloh. And when looking at that part of the archaeology exhibit I was inspired to write No Historic Justification for Tel Aviv, but Shiloh on The Other Hand...
Never Tired of The Israel Museum has many of the photos I took while there.
The results of a recent rabbinic scandal may the the impetus for a needed change, If Rabbis aren't Able to Counsel Women, Maybe The Time has Come for Females to get Official Roles. What do you think? Please read what I wrote first.
Here in Shiloh we have activities for the "senior citizens." Even though I'm old enough to be a participant, I'm there only as an occasional translator, Memories, Senior Citizens "Playback"
It is Tisha B'Av today. I'm using my hosting privileges to ask what you eat Before and After a Fast?
Following are some interesting posts. Read to discover which blogs, since I'm not identifying them, only giving you the titles.

Religion Ministry Sends Search Party To Help Evangelicals Find Jesus
Shabbat Shalom and a message for Tisha B’Av
Take me with you: How to make aliyah with pets
"Pour out my heart like water" – thoughts for Tisha b’Av 5775
Deri allows import of shrimp and lobster
A strikingly different and refreshing idea about acceptance of others
Let Go and Let G-d
Building-Blocks Made of Kindness
New "White Beer" from Herzl
An Update about the Ramle Hesder Yeshiva
Let's talk about loneliness
Jack Cohen – National Identity, The Day After and More
Sorry Folks-Jonathan Pollard Isn't Getting Out Of Prison Till He's Paroled
What Are You

And yet again:
You don't have to be a blogger to read, comment and share Havel Havelim!!
May my next blog post be a celebration of our Redemption, the rebuilding of the Holy Temple and coming of the Moshiach!!

5 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

Thank you as always, dear FAFM*, for gathering and posting all of this interesting writing. And thanks for posting mine, as well! ;-)

*Fellow American Football Mom

Vaguely Sinister Wife said...

Thank you for including the links to my blog. May next Tisha b'Av be a day of rejoicing!

-Yael

Batya said...

Ruti, Yael, thank you both. I couldn't have done it alone! Love your blogs!
Ruti, FAFM is a new one, but now I'm in a newer category as Coach Mom, too.

rutimizrachi said...

I like FAFCM just as well. :-) Welcome to the club! And here's our usual prayer: May they all play well, play nicely, and nobody get hurt too badly.

Batya said...

Ruti, it should be a season of health and derech eretz.